Roy J. Smith IV
Altamonte Springs Divorce Attorney
EducationNova Southeastern University
- Bachelors of Science, Legal Studies, with highest honors 1997
- Recipient of Outstanding Achievement Award in Liberal Arts
- President, Alpha Chi (AX) Honors Fraternity
- Juris Doctorate with honors, 2000
- Senior Articles Editor of the Florida Law Review
- Chief Judicial Panelist of the Florida Law Review
- Recipient of Frank E. Maloney Award for Outstanding Candidate: Florida Law Review (1999)
- Recipient of Gertrude Brick Award for Outstanding Board Member: Florida Law Review (2000)
- 2016 "Super Lawyer" Designation by Florida Super Lawyers
- 2015 "Super Lawyer" Designation by Florida Super Lawyers
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- 2014 “Super Lawyer” Designation by Florida Super Lawyers
- 2014 Selected to National Academy of Family Law Attorneys Top 10 Family Law Lawyers in Florida under 40.
- 2013 “Super Lawyer” Designation by Florida Super Lawyers
- 2012 Nominated for Orlando Business Journal’s “Most Influential Men” list.
- 2012 one of “The Regions Top Lawyers” by Orlando Home & Leisure Magazine.
- 2012 Selected to “The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40.”
- 2012 Nominated to Orlando Business Journal’s “40 under 40”
- 2011 “One of Orlando’s Top Lawyers” for “Excellence in Family Law” by Orlando Home & Leisure Magazine.
- 2010 “Rising Star” Designation by Florida Super Lawyers
- 2011 “Rising Star” Designation by Florida Super Lawyers
- 2011 Selected to Florida Trend Magazine’s “Legal Elite” for Marital and Family Law.
- 2011 Nominated to Orlando Business Journal’s “40 Under 40.”
- 2009 Recipient of Distinguished Alumni Award by Nova Southeastern University
- Selected by Orlando Style Magazine as one of “Orlando’s Renaissance Men for 2011.”
An attorney must wear two hats: one of the champion and one of the counselor. If an attorney fails to wear both hats he, or she, is only providing half of the representation deserved.”
Roy Smith practices in the realms of Family Law, Auto Accident Law, and Mediations. Roy has been selected for inclusion in the 2010 and 2011 and 2012 Rising Stars list published in Florida Super Lawyers® magazine, a distinction only given to 2.5% of all practicing lawyers in the State of Florida. In addition, Roy has been given the distinction of being AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell through its peer review program. The AV rating is the highest rating awarded by Martindale-Hubbell and reflects an attorney who has reached the height of professional excellence. Roy was also included in Florida Trend Magazine’s Legal Elite list for 2011 and also selected as one of Orlando’s “Renaissance Men” for 2011 by Orlando Style Magazine.
In addition to his practice as an attorney, Roy is also a Florida Supreme Court Certified Family Law Mediator and Circuit Civil Mediator.
Roy was born in Wauchula, Florida but spent his formative years in the Carolinas, graduating from Fort Mill High School and then returning to his home state of Florida to attend college and law school.
After graduating with honors from The University of Florida College of Law, where he served as the Senior Articles Editor and Chief Judicial Panelist of the Florida Law Review, he moved to the Orlando area.
For over ten years, Roy has been representing clients in personal injury matters and in family law disputes. He has had the pleasure of lecturing numerous times on these issues to both attorneys as well as law students and consumers of the State of Florida.
Roy is a member of the Florida Bar, an EAGLE member of The Florida Justice Association, a member of The Seminole County Bar Association, the Collaborative Family Law Group of Central Florida, the Central Florida Family Law Inn of Court, and serves on the board of directors for the Central Florida Trial Lawyers Association.
Roy is the father of three daughters, a die-hard Florida Gator, a parishioner of St. Margaret Mary Catholic Church, where he donates his time to the St. Margaret Mary Parish Attorney Program, and a proud native Floridian.
- “Current Challenges in PIP (Database/Usual and Customary Charges)” Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, March, 2004
- “A Practical Refresher on Litigating the Florida Auto Injury Case” NBI January, 2005
- “The PIP Wars (Material Misrepresentation)” Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, May, 2006
- “Obtaining the Best Settlement for Personal Injury Clients” NBI May, 2008
- “2008 Auto Negligence Seminar” Florida Justice Association September 2008
- “No-Fault Law: Current Issues and Strategies” NBI, November, 2008
- Yearly to Bi-Yearly lectures regarding the practice of Family Law and the Collaborative Family Law Practice at the following educational institutions:
- Barry University College of Law
- Nova Southeastern University
- EAGLE Member of Florida Justice Association Board of Directors for the Central Florida Trial Lawyers Association
- Central Florida Family Law American Inn of Court Member of Collaborative Family Law Group of Central Florida
- Member of Orange County Bar Association Chair of the Ninth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee (2013-2014)
- Member of Seminole County Bar Association
- Participant in St. Margaret Mary Parish Attorney Program Member of St. Margaret Mary Catholic School Parent Business Network.